Allegations of sexual exploitation and abuse against personnel of United Nations is been brought to the notice of the public by a United Nations spokesperson, who revealed that the international body has received 37 sexual allegations against its personnels in the first quarter of 2019.
Deputy Spokesperson for the Secretary-General of the organisation, Mr Farhan Haq, revealed this at a news conference in New York on Thursday. He said the offenders, includes a civilian and
from peacekeeping as well as personnel of agencies, funds and programmes.
“Of the 37 allegations, there are 49 victims: 28 women and 11 girls, one boy, seven females of unknown age, one unknown adult and one unknown child. Sixteen of these allegations are categorised as sexual abuse, 27 as sexual exploitation, four are of an unknown nature, and two have been categorised as “other”, of which one was closed. Of these 37 allegations, one has been substantiated through an investigation and has been referred to the Member State,’’ the spokesperson said.
According to United Nations spokesperson, Haq, he stated that the world body received 33 allegations, involving 37 victims and 38 perpetrators, against non-UN personnel working as implementing partners.
He also noted that not all the allegations reported had been fully substantiated, and that many were in the preliminary stage of assessment.
In addition, Haq said, in order to to determine if there is sufficient information to investigate, four of the allegations were not substantiated; 26 were at various stages of investigation, and six are under preliminary assessment.